Thursday, September 11, 2014

We are (hopefully) Going to be Foster (to adopt) Parents

I feel like I have always had a hear for adoption/fostering.
My husband... not so much.
 
I don't remember exactly when, but it was after we lost our baby when I remember being out to dinner with him at one of our favorite places, Mama Leones and asking if we could apply to foster.  It was a quick no from him.
 
I think it was a year after that when I had him print out the forms.   He was getting more on board.  But they say on the shelf in our guest bedroom and I never filled them out.  One day earlier this year as I was tidying up that room I remember coming across them and tossing them.  Because I didn't think he would be on board.  Because I thought we would get pregnant on our own...
 
In mid-July before our 4th wedding anniversary I brought it up again.  Chris printed out the papers again at work and brought them home.   A new path for us to venture down.
 
 
 
So we filled out the papers.  I told my mom and my sister.  We told the people we were going to use for family/personal references.
 
During the application process I would learn others were pregnant and it would hurt all over again.  I felt at times like why are we here filling out paperwork, getting fingerprinted, having background checks ran on us when other people just get pregnant.
 
I was elated when our paperwork was ready to be sent in.  I happily mailed it away, even paid more to send it Priority even though the office it was going to was only about 25 minutes from our home.   When I got back in the car, postage receipt in hand I took a photo to document it.  Sort of like what I would have done had I taken a positive pregnancy test.  This was our positive test!
 
 
That following Monday I got a call that our initial paperwork had been turned in and we would receive an email to schedule our 30 hours of foster care training. 

This was all really happening.
 
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to read a comment. Please make sure your email is associated with your comment so I can reply back.